Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Is Organization Your Best Friend?

When I was in college, I did an internship in youth ministry. I learned many things that semester, but there was one thing that my youth minister mentor beat into me. Over and over I would hear it and in this ministry there was no way to ignore it. “God blesses organization!” So either I was going to embrace this creed and it was going to be my best friend for the semester or I was going to ignore it and it was going to become my worst enemy. Well, I don’t know about you, but I don’t like confrontation so I decide it would be better to make organization my friend than my enemy.

1 Thing I have learned about organization: God Blesses It!
At first, I thought that this was just the gung-ho ravings of a ministry that was way to controlling and up-tight, but I was wrong. As I began to willing practice organization under God’s direction and guidance, I found it was true. God does bless organization! Now, I realize that is why Jesus taught on such passages as Luke 14:28-30.

”For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it? Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him, saying, 'This man began to build and was not able to finish.'”
This passage is about counting the cost and planning ahead and in the end leaving it all to follow Christ. That’s just what God wants us to do in life and ministry.

1 Tip for improving your organizational skills:
I offered you one thing that I learned about organization so I will offer you one tip to improve your organizational skills. If you want to be more organized learn to be an effective communicator. This can help you to get organized and stay organized by reducing confusion between you and the people you work with or live with or minister too. A person who learns to communicate thinks to ask if the gym is already occupied before they plan a 3 on 3 basketball tournament. A person who communicates remembers to tell their youth sponsors about the team meeting planned for next month. The list can go on…and on…and on. Okay. You get the picture.

1 Question for you:
Now I have one question for you. Do you want to be blessed? If the answer is yes then I hope you will start learning how to be organized because I firmly believe that God blesses organization!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think that organization in ministry is SO important. It also is so much bigger than just having the calendar in order. It's also about taking the time to communicate and remembering to work together and to tell your team members the important things they need to know. These are all key parts of organization.